TECHNET Archives

July 2001

From:
Kathy Kuhlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 10:49:23 -0500
I have worked with three various styles of depaneling equipment.  And by the way please have your CM stop depaneling by hand immediately.  The flexure stress they are invoking is sinful.

I would suggest the router.  The way to go for consistent depaneling.  This is a programmable router that cuts the PCB from the panel with a blade.  These units are a little pricy but also return on the initial investment is fairly quick.  There are fixture options that can minimize costs.  You can have adjustable fixtures that can be set-up differently per PCB but then the process needs to be more defined for repeatability.  Another option is dedicated fixtures.  These cost but if the PCB run qty can justify it you can remove the risk of set-up operator errors.

Quid Pro Quo Time: In your experience with pizza depanelers, did the blades last as long as the salesman promised?  Did you have to re-sharpen often?

Hope this helps.

Kathy

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" http-equiv=Content-Type> <META content="MSHTML 5.00.2614.3500" name=GENERATOR></HEAD> <BODY style="FONT: 10pt Haettenschweiler; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px; MARGIN-TOP: 2px"> <DIV>I have worked with three various styles of depaneling equipment.&nbsp; And by the way please have your CM stop depaneling by hand immediately.&nbsp; The flexure stress they are invoking is sinful.&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I would suggest the router. The way to go for consistent depaneling.&nbsp; This&nbsp;is a programmable router that cuts the PCB from the panel with a blade.&nbsp; These units are a little pricy but also return on the initial investment is fairly quick.&nbsp; There are fixture options that can minimize costs.&nbsp; You can have adjustable fixtures that can be set-up differently per PCB but then the process needs to be more defined for repeatability.&nbsp; Another option is dedicated fixtures.&nbsp; These cost but if the PCB run qty can justify it you can remove the risk of set-up operator errors.&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Quid Pro Quo Time: In your experience with pizza depanelers, did the blades last as long as the salesman promised?&nbsp; Did you have&nbsp;to re-sharpen often?&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Hope this helps.&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Kathy &nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>