TECHNET Archives

July 2003

From:
Russell Burdick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 18:30:33 -0700
I'm not sure this applies...I have seen first hand another failure of EN
separating from copper, although prior to assembly. An operator
mis-calculated the copper microetch rate leading to insufficient copper
roughening. The problem was caught when inspection tape tested the ENIG and
pulled up nickel from the copper surface. Operator logsheets contained the
raw data for the etchrate calculation so a swift root cause was mercifully
easy. Process wise we dumped and remade the acid pre-dip each day as Rudy
mentioned.

I hope this helps in some way.

Russ