TECHNET Archives

June 2000

From:
David Bergman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 16:57:17 -0500
It has come to IPC's attention through a communication from Phibro-Tech that there may be a shortage of etching recycling capacity in California.  IPC is providing this alert so that our members may analyze their individual situations and make appropriate contingency plans.  Below please find the correspondence from Phibro-Tech.  In addition, I have included the names from the IPC Recycling directory listing those companies that provide etchant recycling services.  Finally, IPC's Director of Environmental Policy Fern Abrams has provided some guidance on hazardous waste storage from EPA's website.

If you wish to continue to be informed on this issue, please send the name of the appropriate individual in your company to Fern Abrams at [log in to unmask]
202-638-6219

Sincerely,
David Bergman, IPC

CORRESPONDENCE FROM PHIBRO-TECH

DTSC Mandated Waste Receipt Hold at Santa Fe Springs

Despite increasing production in Santa Fe Springs, developing enhanced capacity at its other facilities, and ardently investigating new markets for its products, the unprecedented boom in the electronics industry combined with the recent and precipitous departure of two major service providers to the industry, has forced PTI to exceed its permitted storage capacity at its Santa Fe Springs Plant.

On Wednesday May 31, during a routine RCRA inspection the Department of Toxic Substance Control (DTSC) ordered a hold on the receipt of wastes because we were over our storage permit limit for drams.  Consistent with its commitment to product stewardship, PTI will be meeting with California DTSC as soon as possible to request some relief on behalf of the industry.

In a diligent effort to prevent this capacity overload in Santa Fe Springs, we have utilized our national presence by shipping materials at increased costs, to our other facilities located throughout the United States.  Additionally, we have been working with the remaining service providers in trying to develop solutions to this critical situation.  But the realities of increased production from the industry and the sudden withdrawal of other service providers from our business has caused this temporary and unfortunate imbalance.

Please be assured we are doing everything feasiblely possible to maintain industry stability for our customers during this exigent situation.

SOURCES FROM IPC'S RECYCLING DIRECTORY

U.S. Filter
2430 Rose Place
Roseville, MN 55113
612) 638-1330
Fax: (612) 633-5074
Martin Bergstedt
Ammoniacal Etchant

Pure-Etch Co.
1031 Industrial St.
San Jose, CA 95125
(408) 424-0695
Fax: (408) 424-1427
Doug Romine
Etchant

Phibro-Tech
8851 Dice Rd.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90607
(310) 698-8036
Fax: (310) 698-1921
Steve Ansley
Metals Recovery from Cupric Chloride and Ammonia Etch, Tin Strip

Phibro Tech
10 Industry Dr.
Joliet, IL 60435
(815) 727-4465
Fax: (815) 727-7545
Ken Selby
Copper Etch, Nickel
Waste, Spent Organic
Protective Coatings

Micronutrients, Div. Of
Heritage Technologies
L.L.C
1550 Research Way
Indianapolis, IN 46231
(317) 486-5880
Fax: (317) 486-5888
Fred Stewart
Metal Recovery from Ammoniacal Etchant and
Cupric Chloride

Joel  Bzura
Vice President
Old Bridge Chemicals
P.O. Box 194
Old Bridge, NJ 08857
W: (908) 727-2225 x312, F: (908) 727-2653

FROM FERN ABRAMS, IPC DIRECTOR OF ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY

Guidance is from the EPA website www.epa.gov/epaoswr/osw/generate.htm  (follow link to requirements for generators, then go to 40 CFR 262.  Paragraph reference is 40 CFR 262.34

If you generate less than 2200 pounds of hazardous waste per month (small quantity generator) you can store on site up to 13,228 pounds of total hazardous waste  for 180 days; or up to 270 days if the TSDF is more than 200 miles away.

If you are a large quantity generator (produce more than 2200 pounds of hazardous waste per month) then you may store any amount of hazardous waste up to 90 days.

For both of the above you can request a 30 day exemption from the State Director or the EPA regional Administrator.

David W. Bergman, CAE
Vice President Standards, Technology & International Relations
IPC
2215 Sanders Road
Northbrook, IL  60062-6135  USA
847-790-5340 Phone  847-509-9798 Fax