TECHNET Archives

July 2006

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:09:50 -0400
Hi Martin!

Its a pain.

First you need specifications.  The most sensible specs now involve
random vibration to a controlled frequency distribution.  The result
sounds like wind buffeting, but includes lower frequency (sub-audio)
content too.  A 6 G rms profile is common for high end consumer
equipment.  Meeting this is usually not a problem for circuit
boards--its the connecting harnesses and mounting screws which are
problematic.

The old standard was a swept profile, where you deliberately looked for
resonances, and tried to excite them.  This is no longer considered to
be meaningful to the reliability of the device.

In any case, you will need a shaker table capable of putting out
defined waveforms.  These are priced by how much force they'll need to
exert (# of G's of acceleration x weight(mass) of the Device Under
Test).  The lowest end stuff can do the 6 G profile on a couple of
pounds for on the order of $20K.  Vibration Test Systems makes these.

Normally multiple axis vibration testing on PWAs is not called out, at
least not multiple axes at once.  But if you need to test this, the cost
is much higher.

Wayne Thayer

>>> [log in to unmask] 7/28/2006 11:56:11 am >>>
Good morning,

I have been asked by our sales team if we have the capability to
perform
vibration testing on PCBs we assemble.

Unfortunately my knowledge of this process is very limited and I have
some
questions.

How difficult is a process like this to set up?

Is there a standard test regarding duration, frequency and amplitude of
the
vibration or should the client provide that detail?

Are there manufacturers of equipment for this purpose?

I am not sure of the exact quantities of product but it is likely in
the
development stage so numbers would be limited.

Thanks,
Martin Butcher
Process Engineering

in