From:
simon.ipc.org!pbni.attmail.com!PBN!PBN1!DHarder (Dave Harder)
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 06:30:00 +0000

Hello,

I am looking for information regarding handling stripped fiber optic cables.
 During our assembly process, we strip cables, then splice them.  We are
interested in a machine that improves our stripping operation, but its cycle
time far exceeds are splicing time.  Due to the cost, we are looking at
machine to supply all our splicing machines.  This will involve material
handling of exposed fiber ends.

Does anyone know of a way to safely handle the fiber ends for short term
storage & handling between stations.  Contamination of fiber ends is a major
concern with us, as is with our customers.

One suggestion so far has been a foam tray with slits in it hold the fiber
cable with the exposed end toward the inside of the tray.

All feedback is welcome, from material handler vendors to fiber suppliers as
well.

Thank you in advance,
Dave Harder
Mfg. Engineer
Philips Broadband Networks, Inc.
315-682-9105 X651
simon.ipc.org!pbni.attmail.com!PBN!PBN1!DHarder