From:
"Usergroup" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 96 17:34:08 PST
     Mike;

     There are a lot of options out there that address a wide variety of
     training needs and pocketbooks. There is China Lake (MTTC -
     619-446-5571) and EMPF (317-226-5607) at the high end of things, where
     your trainer can get a carefully designed and monitored instructor's
     certification. They, along with quite a few independant training
     organzations, also offer a variety of targeted trainer, engineer, and
     operator classroom programs as well. Two of the best that I'm familiar
     with are National Training Center for MicroElectronics (610-861-5486)
     and SMT Plus (408-438-6116), both of whom specialize in doing on-site
     classes at your location. Both teach hand soldering (my focus), but
     their other areas of expertise differ.

     For very focused work, where you want bring someone in on a hourly
     basis to work one-on-one with key people try Greg Painter at Hand
     Soldering Specialties at (415)964-0577. He specializes in hand
     soldering and workmanship standards training.

     Promising newcomers to the field include ACME (605 341-4261), run by
     Tino Gonzales, for surface mount process consulting and training, and
     The Training Center, a new group that appears to be developing a very
     promising program, though I haven't audited any of their classes yet.
     (I have experience with all of the others mentioned above.)

     This only scratches the surface though. The needs and the resources
     vary widely - there's no one single good solution for every training
     need, and many providers will custom design a program for you. I would
     be happy to talk to any technet readers about their specific solder
     training needs, and perhaps recommend local trainers in your area if
     you like (there are far too many to list here).

     Reed Hopkins
     User Development Manager
     Metcal, Inc.

     415-325-3291

     (please mention technet)

     There are also a number of training options and links listed on the
     Rework & Repair Exchange at http://www.metcal.com/training.html.