From:
[log in to unmask] (Mike Cussen)
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 96 13:57 EST
ESD

I thought, if I distributed a email message like this I might stir
up some brave people to start talking about these problems.

I would like to know if you are Implementing or have implemented
a ESD program?

If so, do you have any of these problems and how did you resolve
them?

How did you convince the Design Engineers to take ESD precautions
when handling ESDS devices, IC's, and boards ect?

At our facilitiies all personnel have been trained and tested in
ESD precautions, and who do you think got the best scores, "why sure,"
the Engineering staffs.

I have accumulated reams of documentation from NCMS, ESD Association,
Military Specifications supporting the need for ESD control, but still
the Engineering staffs do not or will not take these precautions on their
own.

There is this overwhelming since in the electronics industry that ESD is
a fabricated problem that should be talked about but you do not have to
take any actions, or the other guy can use the precautions but I design
my circuits to handle any ESD event, so why should I be worried.

That's great if you hold that opinion but if you were in my position an
ESD coordinator who must try to implement these precautions, you maybe up
against these same issues.

I would surmise you think we have a obstinate group of Engineers, and that
maybe the case, but its not. We all know that the design people are a key part
of our products. Why then, are these designers having such a hard time
accepting these controls. Sure enough, I can use all of the motivation
techniques available, but why are we not taking these controls to heart or
on our own?

I could list many other implementation difficulties, but if I could sell these
folks, this ESD program stuff would be a piece of cake?

I have been all over the country and I have seen very few fully implement and
working ESD programs. Many corporations have partial programs in place,
but when you truly observe the every day handling of these ESDS devices we
all fail.

If you have a comment let us know:

Micahel Cussen
Medar Inc.