From:
[log in to unmask] (Jerry Cupples)
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 11:50:33 -0500
Dear TN subscribers,

In looking at some new designs for high speed comm boards, we are seeing
competitors use 22 uF aluminum electrolytic caps in radial leaded packages
for decoupling.

Most of our designs have used solid tantalum parts in "D" case the past few
years.

Part of the reason for this may be cost, as it seems the Ta parts are about
40 cents vs. 10 cents for the AL parts.

Of course, it is much simpler to automatically place the SMT devices, but
what I'm wondering is...

Is there some electronic design superiority related to the package or
typical circuit "physics" (i.e. trace inductance, etc.) to choose the AL
radial leaded part?

Any guess, speculation, or real intelligence would be appreciated!

regards,

Jerry Cupples
Interphase Corporation
Dallas, TX USA