TECHNET Archives

December 2012

From:
Louis Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Louis Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2012 13:45:16 +0000
Ramakrishnan, Paul, Technetters...IPC-810, Guidelines for High Volume Microsection, is a document I have looked at with some care a few times. It was published in 1993, and not revised since.

A Buehler training representative spent 1.5 days with us in 2009, and his polishing instructions were to use 3-micron diamond with a Texmet low-nap cloth, for 1 minute at 5 pounds per mount, followed by 0.05-micron alumina slurry in microcloth high-nap cloth for 45 seconds at the same force per mount.

For some time I have wondered if it would be better to use 1-micron diamond on the Texmet cloth for final polish.

I notice 810, referring to high-nap cloth, states 'A run time over 1 minute will cause serious problems with copper smear and rounding. Beware of these cloths.' In 810, there is also the statement, referring initial polish, 'The pressure setting is much lower than grind (approximately 0.07 - 0.14 kg/cm^2 [1-2 psi])'.  Our instructions were to use the same 5 pounds per mount for grinding and polishing.

Having recently, and perhaps belatedly, read IPC-TR-486, I have to wonder about the true value of performing all these microsections.

I hope the above is worth at least $0.02.  Louis Hart