Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 1996 10:25:47 EDT
Might I suggest that you check the quality of your supplied solder as well?
We once changed a process and had difficulty in maintaining our copper level
in the HASL pot - we normally take a fixed square footage through the bath,
then drop 20% of the solder, and top up with fresh. We found all of a sudden
that we had to drop the number of square feet processed before a dilution
to a ridiculously low level. We blamed this on the change to the copper
surface from a previous operation. It turned out that we had also changed
solder to a more "commercial" grade alloy, which basically was not pure
enough to maintain our normal throughput. We changed back to our original
supply, and within a very short time we were back to where we had been!

Dougal Stewart
Exacta Circuits
Scotland