TECHNET Archives

June 1997

Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 97 11:55:08 PDT
Doug,
	I guess the first thing to look at is if you are working under some
specification that addresses the issue of Burn-In.  If no regulating document,
then I'd take this approach:

1)  Failure due to nonelectrical material or system.
	a)  Repair with no additional burn-in.  Develop corrective action if
necessary.
2)  Failure due to component attach.
	a)  Replace component and reburn-in.
3)  Failure due to component.
	a)  Replace and reburn-in if component supplier has no screening
process.
	b)  Replace with no additional burn-in if component supplier has
effective screening process.

	It sounds like you're in number 3) and you definitely want to avoid a
reburn-in process.  If you choose to not perform reburn-in, I suggest you
document your justification and monitor the product.  You might also want to
analyze all failures (at bench and in the field) before settling in on a
reburn-in process to look for trends and the overall effectiveness of the
initial burn-in.

Glenn Pelkey
Quality/Reliability Engineer
Maxtek Components Corp.