From:
Mike Buetow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 1996 15:06:41 -0500 (CDT)
George:

I don't know whether bar coding is the best method. Perhaps others in
this forum will opine.

The Electronics Industries Association has a number of specifications for
bar code labels (for the electronics and other industries) including what
they should look like.

IPC is developing a standard (IPC-7911) for materials and test protocols
specifically for bar code labels for PWBs. The concept is simple: a user can
test a particular label to see whether it will withstand the rigors of his
particular processes.

You may want to contact Vicki Heideman at Brady USA ([log in to unmask]), who
is chair of the IPC Bar Code Label Subcommittee, or Harry Parkinson at
DEC, chair of the IPC Assembly Equipment task group, to discuss some of the
commonly used readers and scanners.

Mike Buetow
IPC Technical Staff
2215 Sanders Road