From:
Gregory Cyprus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
26 Jul 96 15:20:34 EDT
Reply to:
Dan Brandler, Ohmega Technologies, Inc.
[log in to unmask] or Tel: 310 559-4400.

RE: Bare board testing with integral components.

Dan,

I know of a product which may provide an easy way of setting up for this type of
test (with minimal cost) known as a Polar Instruments T4128 Fault Locator with
their MDA (Manufacturing Defect Analysis) software. It was designed as a
low-cost alternative to GenRad, Factron, HP, Schlumberger, etc. ATE which do
require programming and are fairly expensive. I believe the T4128MDA is under
$10K US.

The equipment uses the ASA (Analog Signature Analysis) technique which safely
tests components on UNPOWERED boards.

No special software or files are required for the testing of the boards,
however, it may be required for the design of the "bed of nails" type fixture
that the board would be placed on. This is not my area of expertise, contact a
local fixture house for more info on this subject.

Setup is quite easy, the instrument is PC controlled and a good learn is done
from your "goldenboards" (3-5 recommended for setting tolerances) which is
stored in a file. Comparison testing against this file displays and circuit
nodes which exceed your tolerance levels. These are automatically flagged and
displayed to the operator. No real circuit knowledge is required on the part of
the operator, as long as they can push a footswitch and read "PASS" and "FAIL"
indicators. :-)

For more info contact:
Polar Instrument Inc.
Bellingham, WA  USA