From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 96 21:59:28 cst
     Norm - this there any published data on this degradation mechanism?

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins

Subject: Re: GEN: Heat - Sealing?
Author:  [log in to unmask] at ccmgw1
Date:    5/13/96 2:52 PM

Heat sealing of plastic bags creates a gas.  This gas gets trapped in
the bag and adversely works on the tin (not the lead).  Doesn't help
popcorning because once you open the bag, moisture is back into the
board material in less than 24 hours.  Baking the boards within 3 to
4 hours just prior to soldering would help this.  However, I don't
advocate baking as this will diminish solderability.  I don't
advocate heal sealing either as this shortens solerability.  Simply
fold over the end of the bag and tape it shut.

As for components losing solderability due to heat sealing, I would
suspect you have the same problem here as the leads have a tin
coating.  Requires investigative work on someone out there.

Regards,

Norm Einarson