From:
Phil Bavaro <[log in to unmask]> (Phil Bavaro)
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 1996 21:59:51 -0800
We are experiencing tombstoning with our 0402 chips when our nitrogen is
on, but when it is off, the defect goes away.  And as one would expect, the
solder joints are not as shiny and smooth  without the nitrogen.

We are using SN63 fine pitch paste in a forced convection reflow oven.

One of our suppliers (ROHM) has recommended using non-eutectic SN62 (with
silver) and .02" diameter round pads spaced apart .04" but we have never
tried this type of pad design before (square peg on a round pad)!

Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil Bavaro
(619) 658-2542