TECHNET Archives

June 1997

From:
Vickie Chapman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 08:59:51 -0700

Two questions:

1.  I would like to know what others consider an ideal topside
laminate board temperature during preheat. The "rule of thumb" we have been
using is that we want this to be between 190 and 220 F (measured using a Wave
Solder Optimizer and/or tape dots). We are using an alcohol-based water soluble
flux and standard tin/lead solder at 495 F.

2. We are considering changing over to forced air convection preheaters, but are
 concerned that this will have more of a tendency to dry out the flux. Again, we
are using an alcohol-based water soluble flux. Any experiences here?