TECHNET Archives

June 1997

Date:
4 Jun 1997 14:13:56 -0500

Hi TechNet,
We're assembling a board with a QFP304, and are seeing a dimensional
mismatch between the leads and pads.  The pitch of the leads appears to be
greater than that of the boards, almost reminiscent of when people made errors
in the metric to english conversion when designing footprints.  The footprint is
correct, I've calculated the center to center distance of all pads from the Gerber
file, and the pitch is exactly correct (.5mm).  My next step in the investigation
is to measure some parts, and I am in search of someone who can pick parts
out of a waffle tray, perform lead inspection, and report on lead spacing,
sweep, etc.  I would like to do this on a large enough quantity of parts to get
some signifigant data, so I don't want to do this manually on an optical
comparator.

Does anyone perform this service, or know of someone who can?  Please keep
in mind that I'll be measuring good parts, so ESD and moisture sensitivity
protection are still important to me.

Thanks in advance,
Hal Winslow
Manufacturing Engineer