TECHNET Archives

April 1997

From:
[log in to unmask] (Jerry Cupples)
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 14:43:40 -0500
Gerard O'Brien said:

>A week or so ago I posted a request for any information dealing with the
>population of 0201 chips and PCB related issues. The two responses I
>received, while very amusing , did not help and so I am requesting
>information again. This is not a cruel joke as one respondent asked. The
>density of our latest hand held scanner is requiring not only microvia
>technology but also 0201 size chips.

Hmmm.

You asked a pretty far out question in a vague way. There surely won't be
any easy, quick, free "help" for you, and what you wish to do probably
stretches the current state of the art. One common reaction to such
questions is a few choice vulgarities and a hit on the delete key.

I think that discrete parts 0502 (metric) parts are going to be virtually
impossible to handle. Remember, they are half the length, half the width,
and I assume half the thickness of the already tiny 1005 parts - that makes
them 1/8 the mass and volume. You will have to have nozzles at say 0.010"
O.D. to pick them.

>I would appreciate any info especially from any Japanese correspondents
>to this group , as I believe that it is only in Japan that these parts
>are currently being run.

There may be a few Japanese correspondents, but I think you would find that
the major OEM companies in that part of the world are less than 100%
willing to offer public discussion about manufacturing techniques.

My advice to you is that you contact KME/Create in Chicago, 847-288-4400.
They are one of the leading pick and place equipment suppliers in Japan (a
division of Matsushita), and offer advanced/high end equipment which might
be able to do it. If they tell you no-go, then be prepared to accept the
answer.

If you have not attempted (much less succeeded with) placing 1005 parts,
then leaping beyond that in a real production program would be reckless.
Start there, when you have that down, go onward. If you are already
accomplishing this routinely, please accept my apologies for the affrontry.

I would add that four years ago I worked for a very large Japanese
electronics company building very small cellphones. I know at that time
even the best equipment and process skills we had were challenged by 1005
parts.

And what problems would one expect to see with 0201/0502 parts?

Control of the pickup point for the part in its tape pocket - the typical
freedom of movement in punched tape or plastic carrier tape is the width of
the part or more.

Tombstoning due to the wetting force of reflowed paste lifting one end cap.

Difficulties with tiny vaccuum chuck nozzles clogging, bending, etc. on the
pick and place machines.

My head aches thinking about it.

good luck,

Jerry Cupples