TECHNET Archives

October 2005

From:
"Dehoyos, Ramon" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Dehoyos, Ramon
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:30:12 -0400
        Flux contains acids that when fully activated turn into inert
chemicals.  It is the acids that when  not fully activated that corrode,
so acids will corrode metals whether they are trapped or not.  Salts
with moisture and voltage  make dendrites. They do need free areas to
grow. In other words salts and resins or rosins will not cause any
trouble when they are trapped. For the most part with a good reflow
profile that activates all the acids of the flux will cause no harm if
trapped in a solder joint. My two non chemistry cents
        Ramon