TECHNET Archives

September 2009

From:
Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 2009 09:11:50 -0400
By shelf life - I presume you mean "can the boards be solder assembled successfully, if they were made correctly and handled correctly."

Joint IPC/JEDEC specification J-003 will tell you how to test the solderablity of printed circuit boards so that you can estimate whether they will solder for you, at any point in their life.   In this method, there is a standard flux, and the standard has been updated for the use of lead-free solder.    However, your boards may have not been made or handled correctly, or you may have a very mild flux/assembly cycle, so no IPC document will tell you exactly how long boards remain solderable - just how to make them to spec, store them to spec, and to test them with a standard solderablity method.

You may also want to to check the manufacturing standards for various board finishes ENIG to OSP - IPC Standards 4552 to 4555.  They will have comments about various finishes and shelf life.  For instance, my copy of Immersion Silver spec 4553 states " The deposit has demonstrated the ability to meet a shelf life of 12 months per IPC J-STD-003 and industry data, when handled per this specification’s requirements."

Reuven has given guidelines that he follows, and there are numerous literature references to comparisons of "shelf life" between finishes. However, I suspect you will end up with the Doug Pauls answer - "It depends".

Denny Fritz

MacDermid, Inc