From:
Paul Gould <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 18:33:14 GMT
Hello David,

This is a serious defect; the main issue in your case is the quality of the
plated copper since it should not have failed even after more than 5 cycles. I
do not know if interconnects at each layer would reduce the likelihood of
cracking but would doubt it if the copper is that brittle. If it would, someone
would have to explain why all those double sided pth boards don't need nfp's
inside them to hold the plating together.

Ductility in plated copper is affected by the amount and type of additive used,
and the time between carbon treatments. Normally, solutions should be treated
every 6 - 12 months, depending on throughput, to remove all organic material and
return them to a healthy blue colour. Organics come from the breakdown of the
additives, and leaching of the dry film resist. I'm sure there are many experts
out there who can add other factors which produce less ductile copper deposits.

It is better to design your pcb's with all pads present as this helps to ensure
proper clearances between traces and holes. Allow the fabricator to remove
nfp's if they believe it will improve reliability. This is easy and automatic on
CAM software.

Paul Gould
EMail [log in to unmask]