TECHNET Archives

September 2001

From:
Jack Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 10:41:49 -0500
>>> "Mike Fenner" <[log in to unmask]> 09/17/01 10:08AM >>>

When you say "same formulation" do you mean the same generic type: OA water
washable flux. Or do you mean solder free solder paste/solderpaste vehicle
as supplied by the exact same supplier as your solderpaste?
What you have done is OK as a diagnostic but suggest no more than that. (I
wouldn't be too happy with it as its unlikely you have the same mixing
equipment, QC procedures and documentation as a regular paste supplier:)

Can I ask what happened when you did a "back to as it should ideally be
test". That is do some runs with a brand new paste on a clean stencil. Clean
means no dried out paste and no residual stencil cleaning chemical in the
openings (especially IPA and similar).

Some water wash pastes are quite vulnerable to moisture pickup and premature
ageing leading to spitting and clogging, the addition of fresh flux will
restore the activity somewhat and reduce the incidence of beading/balling,
(but will add variables to everything else such as print, tack, tack life
etc)

Best regards
Mike Fenner
Applications Engineer, European Operations
Indium Corporation
 T: + 44 1908 580 400
M: + 44 7810 526 317
 F: + 44 1908 580 411