Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 09:57:29 -0500
Good Day all,

In reading the responses in this area, I realize that I made a mistake in my
submitted calculation.  I had indicated that we use length x width x 1.1.  If
I had my brain turned on, I would have taken BOTH sides of the board into
account.  Our actual formula for use is:  length x width x 2 x 1.1.  This
takes into account both sides of the laminate surface, with an additional 10%
for components.  Yes, it is not as accurate as knowing the actual surface
area, but it works well as an approximation.  I have been in the position of
doing actual calculations, and it can be a real headache if the individual is
nitpicky (Webster will forgive me):  lead surface areas, surface areas on top
of DIPs, sides of LCCs, undersides of PLCCs, transformer outlines.  Hand me
the Tylenol.....

Doug Pauls