TECHNET Archives

November 2001

From:
Peter Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:35:00 +0000
Mike,

I have used immersion silver (Alpha Level) at times in the past using the
same temperature profile as for HASL finished boards and had good wetting at
both bottom and topside. Are you subjecting this assembly to any surface
mount processes before wave soldering? Multiple processing of this type of
finish can progressively degrade the solderability at each stage but you'd
have to be pretty aggressive.

What is the state of the unpopulated PCB's? Is the finish bright or dull
with black or dark areas on the solderable surfaces? What is the finish
called?

Also,like other responses on this forum your preheat temperature seems
excessively high, even if you were using a water based VOC free flux you'd
only need a max. of around 110-115 deg. C topside. What flux are you using?

Regards

Peter Barton
ACW Technology Limited

===== Original Message from [log in to unmask] (TechNet E-Mail Forum.) at