From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 96 10:32:14 cst
     Hi Blue Smurf:

     A couple of questions:

     a) was there tape on the fingers when this phenomena occurred (ie. did
     the solder get under the tape)?

     b) did you do any FTIR or surface analysis on the gold to confirm that
     there was no contamination?

     I have seen this happen on a couple of our assemblies but we traced
     the phenomena to:

     1)the solder was "just" molten and therefore was not really
     metallurgically joined to the gold fingers (ie. it solidified too fast
     to attach).

     2) there was a residue on the gold fingers from the tape that didn't
     allow for joining to occur.

     3) the nickel underplate had diffused up through the gold plating
     porosity. But this also makes it nonsolderable too!

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins