From:
Fred Paul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 07:54:54 PST
Mr. Franck,
	Procedure 1 (Figure 1) is for bow (only) and is determined by measuring the maximum
deflection with all 4 corners in the same plane (touching a surface plate).  Allowable bow is a
percentage of the length of the side exhibiting the maximum deflection.

	Procedure 2 (Figure 2) is for twist (only).  The board has twist when you can't get all four
corners to touch the flat surface plate.  Allowable twist is a percentage of the diagonal
measurement.

The two procedures are used for measuring two different characteristics, bow or twist.  You are
not given a choice of the two procedures for measuring bow.

>From IPC-A-600D, pg 51, Table 10-3 "Bow and Twist Tolerances for Glass Base Material"

For Multilayers, All Thickness categories:  Class I = 2%, Class 2 = 1.5%, and Class 3 = 1%.

On Wed, 31 Jan 1996 08:21:22 -0500 George Franck X2648 N408 wrote:

> From: George Franck X2648 N408 <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 08:21:22 -0500
> Subject: Bow and Twist
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> IPC-TM-650 2.4.22 is the test procedure for bow and twist.  It is found in
> various documents, mine is in the back of my trusty IPC-RB-276.  In section
> 5.4 Procedure 4, Production Testing using a "go/no-go" pin gague, there are
> two methods and measurements.  The first, in para. 5.4.1, (fig 6)  show the
> bowed board place cup side down and the measurement is the gap under the
> cup.  In 5.4.2, (fig 7) the board is turned over and the cup is up.  The
> measurement is at the edge or corner of the board.
>
> My question is this.  The cup side up measurement is about twice the cup
> side down measurement.  Must both measurements meet the percent deviation
> requirement?  Is there a different way of calculating the maximum
> percentage deviation for the two?  I am confused.
>
> You can see what I am talking about by taking out a business card, and
> curling it a little.  Now put it cup side down, look at the gap.  Turn it
> over and hold down two corners (across the edge which does not have the
> curl in it), the gap is about twice as much.
>
> Thanks and don't let your boss catch you playing with your cards at your desk!

>                            George Franck
>   PWB Product Assurance                     Phone (703) 560-5000 x2648
>   E-Systems M/S N408                              Fax   (703) 280-4613
>   7700 Arlington Blvd                  E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
>   Falls Church Va 22046                      E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

FRED J. PAUL					FLUKE CORPORATION
Sr. Process Engineer				POB 9090   M/S 55
PCB Operations					EVERETT, WA 98206
[log in to unmask]					206 347-6100
voice:	206 356-5734 (w Voice Mail)
fax:	206 356-6070
[Ideas and expressions presented herein are my own, and in no way are they implied to
necessarily represent those of the FLUKE CORPORATION]