From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 96 13:22:31 cst
     Hi Phil:

     I have two references that talk about the solderability and pumice
     scrub interactions:

     "Thwaites, C.J. and Mackay, C.A., "Some Effects of Abrasive Cleaning
     on the Solderability of Printed Circuits", Metal Finishing Journal,
     Sept. 1968, pp. 291-294 (Tin Research Institute Publication 386).

     "Spiliotis, N.J., "Tin Lead Plating Practices That Assure Proper
     Wetting Upon Reflow", Insulation/Circuits, June 1978, pp. 64-71."

I imagine that Paul Davis used the Thwaites/Mackay efforts for at least part of
a publication - I can't find any record of a paper by him on pumice scrubbing
but then my library has a few holes in it.  As for your dewetting and white
residue question - NO, I have run into that situation several times but it was
never a lead species related issue. Tin preferentially oxidizes on a tin/lead
surface which makes the formation of a lead species a process specific cause. Do
the pwbs see some type of chemistry and/or environmental exposure that would
promote a lead carbonate? I think Bill Hampshire (formerly of the Tin Research
Institute) published a paper that talked about the formation of lead species -
you may want to get ahold of him (I know I have the paper but I just can't find
it!).

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins