Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 16:20:46 +0000
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> No more confused than those who want to use Tarn-X for Copper as a flux
> (don't laugh, I've been asked), or Cascade dishwashing detergent for a
> saponifier.  It is sometimes frightening, the number of manufacturers who
> want to use Walmart as their materials supplier.
>
> Doug Pauls.

Doug
Perhaps I've been around too long, but, with a smile, I can remember .....

One part isopropol, one part water, one part Lemon Joy makes a fine IR reflow flux
also.  (adjust pH to 1-2 with HCl).  Black Jack Molasses used to be The copper
brightner of choice.  Spray cans of "Static Gaurd" can help keep the static charge
down in the printing exposure frame.  Chrome plate likes uric acid as a brightner.
I won't go into how they figured that out.  Toothpastes containing diatomaceous
earth do OK as a polish on micro-sections.  Certian Shampoos will work as anti-pit
agents in the Nickel plater.  Autobody epoxy works as a quick cross section mount.
Never tried Tarn-X as a flux, but it does work as a solder brightner, and helped at
the old reflective AOI machines to quickly get the copper bright.  Pencils and a
cotton ball work as a brush gold plating anode.  There was something disgusting
which once was used in Tin-Lead/HBF3 platers before peptone...

Walmart can supply some PWB product needs, and you get wat you pay for.  Just
because there are suppliers who charge big bucks for supplies doesn't mean there
isn't other stuff out there that works, at least 60% as well.  Sometimes 60% is
good enough.  The problem is, you gotta know when 60% isn't good enough.

By the way, just what surface insulation resistance would one get on a board which
was washed in Cascade after hot air solder level?  I've understood it had been
tested and found it "passed" the "Omegameter" test.  Does that mean better than
60%?

In search of better uses for Tobasco,
George Franck

Darn, there is a great mold release (non-silicone) for the lamination press pins
and plates, and I can't remember it.