TECHNET Archives

March 2008

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2008 16:57:11 +0200
We didn't have the weld problem with our cleaning machines, as the
welding rods were 18-8-2-1 alloy (expensive but was chosen for that
reason).

Welding 18-8 or 18-8-2 (or lower Cr/Ni SS) with 18-8 (or lower Cr/Ni SS)
rods is a sure fire way of having the weld problem.

However, we had one customer who coupled the machine to the water from
their semiconductor plant and the 18-8-2 alloy of the sheet metal
developed a thin coating of a loose very fine red powder, known as
rouge, despite the molybdenum. See
http://www.corrosionlab.com/Failure-Analysis-Studies/rouging.htm for
more details. This caused a long-lasting complaint from the customer but
I kept telling him to use a less pure water.

We never saw this with other customers who used DI water from a
mixed-bed column.

Brian