From:
"Leo P. Lambert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 1996 21:55:54 -0400 (EDT)
One of the issues we found which was causing this problem, cracking of TSOP
packages was the pad design.  The pads were too long and extending beneath
the component body.  When the solder joint was created there was no stress
relief in the joint and hence the beginning of the cracking solder joint
problem.

The pad layout should extend the inner dimension of the pads to be further
apart than the width of the component body.

Hope this helps.

Leo Lambert
EPTAC Corp.
Bedford NH.