TECHNET Archives

February 2012

From:
Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2012 16:41:58 +0100
On 17 February 2012 16:06, Victor Hernandez <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Fellow TechNetters:
>
> Q:   How fragile are whisker?

 R:   Because they are monocrystalline, they are extremly strong. I don't
have facts, don't think anyone has.

> Q:   How much vibration required to dislodge from base material

   R:   As the mass is nearly equal to  zero, you need acceleration levels
far above the specification of the unit where they are situated. I guess we
talk about much more than 100 g's. Sure, it depends on the length. If they
are short, we may  talk about thousands G's.

> .
> Q:   How much air turbulence to dislodge from base material.

  R:  Air seems to make them vibrate, and the longest ones dislodges. We
got several millimeters long Tin whiskers in waveguides. The long ones
disappeared.

> Q:   When broken do they shatter into tiny pieces or just two parts.

  R:  Seem not to be broken at all

> Q:   Can whiskers inside a rack cause issues.

  R:  You bet!

Jay Brusse at NASA will give you much more details, if he reads this. I
have lots about whiskers too, but I doubt there are any mechanical data. If
there are, it's probably theoretical values.