TECHNET Archives

January 1997

Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 18:44:38 -0800
When choosing Xray equipment for measurement of circuit board innerlayer
misregistration, there is certainly a wide variety of options.
I would appreciate some information on the Xray component itself.  Any
help with the following questions would be greatly appreciated.  I'm not
looking for equipment names, I already have most of the vendor names of
Xray equipment and Xray/drill equipment.

1. I have heard references to the focal spot, and the focal point
diameters.  Are these the same thing?  How critical is the size of the
focal point to Xray measurement results for circuit board innerlayer
misregistration? Is the more advanced type of Xray component really
necessary for circuit board fabrication.
2. Why do some misregistration Xray machines have a sealed Xray tube,
and others have an Xray filament?  What are the advantages of each?

drilbert