TECHNET Archives

July 2020

From:
Mary Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Mary Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 2020 21:27:41 +0000
Residual moisture adsorbed on the board can cause bubbles.  Residual solvent on the board from a cleaning operation can cause bubbles - especially residual IPA with urethane coating.  It is best to bake the cleaned CCA prior to coating and apply coating without delay after the CCA has cooled to RT.

Brushing coating on with a bristled brush can work air into the coating and result in bubbles forming during heat cure.  This is most pronounced the higher the coating viscosity.

Definitely, oven curing a solvent containing coating without adequate flash off time can result in bubbles.

Mary Davis
Materials and Process Engineer, Retired