From:
"Jack W. Bryant" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 1996 16:18:56 -0400
Hello Technet. I am new to the technet forum and would like to propose
an assembly question concerning auto insertion of axial leaded
components. We are a contract manufacturer of PWB's and don't usually
get involved with the assembly untill after the design layout.

Because of component physical size and required lead span, we are
currently hand forming and hand placing approx. 400 pcs. per board,  of
a 1/4 watt metal film resistor.  We have a Universal VCD,  model #6284.
However,  to reliably insert 1/4 watt parts,  into .300"  lead span,  may
require to upgrade our VCD with 5 mm tooling from Universal, ($$$).
Even then  the component body can not exceed .240" long.  I would
appreciate any ideas for automating the placement of these parts, and,
hearing from anyone who has had  this experience and succeeded.  If
these parts can't be auto inserted how about automating the prep
operation?

Axial parts to be auto inserted:
1/4W, Metal Film, Res., component body = .265" long,  lead dia = .022"
Inductor, Carbon Comp., component body = .270" long, lead dia = .022"

Foot print:
Hole dia = .032"
Lead span = .300"
Board thickness = .062"
plated thru hole.

If you would like to comment but need additional information I can be
reached at E-mail:    [log in to unmask]

Thank you.