From:
Gregg Klawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 1996 15:49:59 -0400
On Thu, 19 Sep 1996 13:01:25 -0400
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>From:	[log in to unmask] (Mark Sattel)
>Resent-from:	[log in to unmask]
>To:	[log in to unmask]
>Date: 96-09-19 12:40:03 EDT
>
>Sirs:
>
>I am presently investigating the need for conformal coatings on our
>printed circuit assemblies.  Do you have any literature that discusses
>the relative merits and disadvantages?  To date, our company has
>conformal coated 100% of our PCAs.  But the cost of masking, spraying,
>and unmasking are staggering.  My first instinct was to eliminate the
>coating except in high heat, high humidity environments.  Our operating
>environments vary from freezing cold to hot and humid.  Any information
>that you can supply will be greatly appreciated.

I am also very interested in this subject and people's experiences.

There's a study being conducted by the circuit card assembly and materials
task force of the EMPF (http://www.empf.org) to develope guidelines for the
use/non-use of conformal coatings.  The study is underway now.  I haven't
heard of any interim results.  Check with them for further details.