TECHNET Archives

August 2019

From:
Robert Kondner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 2019 16:36:09 -0400
Dave,

Thanks. I was comparing the via copper walls to the area of the via center. I was assuming vias would be solder filled. Solder has a conductivity value of about 50.

For a 12mil via with a 1 mil wall the ratio of wall cross section to open via is about 3. If the epoxy fill is 10% of the thermal conductivity of copper then the wall is the major contributor of heat transfer. The smaller and denser the placement of the vias the copper wall get even more important. I recall figuring that a 40mil via had equal heat conducted by wall and solder. Below 40 mils the wall transfer more heat. So I am wondering if filling the vias (small vias) really does much to transfer heat..

Please check my math!

When I measured 1C/W for my DPAK I called it mission accomplished and I moved on. I am just curious if anyone actually measured things.

Thanks,
Bob K.