Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 10:59:43 -0500
     Jim,

     Merix Corporation, Beaverton, OR for sure and possibly North Texas
     Circuits, Grand Prarie, TX (low volume, military, high tech).

     Merix has a process similar to what you are explaining but is simplier
     to process.  Its similar to the blind via process but uses the Plasma
     Desmear Removal Process from years back versus hard tool or Laser
     depth drilling.  From what I understand, they are looking into Laser
     depth drill, but as with most of the industry, the cost can not be
     justified based on drill throughput.

     The realestate saved by this process is enormous, considering internal
     routing is increased multifold.

     Example Process:

     1.  Add cap layers to the comp and sold sides (sequential lamination)
     2.  Coat externals caps with resist
     3.  Expose resist only exposing copper pad interconnect
     4.  Develop
     5.  Etch exposed copper pad exposing resin within the SMT Land
     6.  Plasma etch resin until interconnect copper is exposed  NOTE:
         Glass based C & B stage materials can not be used since the Plasma
         does not glass etchback.  Since the Plasma is isotropic it will
         tend to remove resin evenly in all directions (this from what I
         understand is being resolved).
     7.  Another etch process further exposing the underlying copper.
     8.  Electroless plate and so on.

     The above is based on my review of there process and technical data.
     I advise you contact Merix for further info.

     As of now this system is self limiting since the interconnect can only
     be made one layer below.  Depending on your software routing this can
     easily be overcomed.

     Regards,

     John Gulley - QA
     Inet Inc.