TECHNET Archives

October 2001

From:
Sasha Miladinovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:32:02 +0200
Hello Andre,
How big are those 10 via holes? Is the PCB double sided?
My experience with the SMT parts with backside ground is that you must wave
solder after reflow. Usually, when reviewing the design of the PCB, I make
remark on those things by asking the designer to implement plated holes in
to the soldering area. The size of the holes is depending of the
components/soldering area geometry. Than it's relatively easy to solder
those kinds of components. First by screening the soldering paste on the
area, having reasonable distance between the hole and screened soldering
paste avoiding that the holes are draining the solder during reflow.
Secondly, by taking the advantage of the capillary effect, remelt
(hopefully) the previously soldered backside ground area during the wave
soldering process. The soldered part is still positioned by solder on the
outline. Do not forget that the result is depending of the compatibility of
those two processes (reflow and wave soldering). I have verified the result
on the four different PCB and the only thing that I have done was to change
wave-soldering profile slightly to increase the contact lenght over the tin
bath.

I don't know if this solution is applicable in your manufacturing process
but I'm hoping that you are going to solve the problem soon. :)
Good luck,
Sasha

Sasha Miladinovic - Production Engineering
Amersham Biosciences, PCB Production, Umeå
Tel:      +46 (0) 90 150 232
Fax:     +46 (0) 90 138 372
E-mail: [log in to unmask]