TECHNET Archives

February 2003

From:
Lakshmi Dwivedula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 17:34:12 -0500
I remember a Technical Paper published by Amp a long time ago 'Evaluation of
Pin Insertion Techniques to Reduce Board Damage'. If you can lay your hands
on that paper, all your questions should be answered.

From what I remember, square (actually rectangular) pin is not an option for
an .062" board. A minimum board thickness of .093" or better still, .125" is
needed.

Even then, the method consists of forcing rectangular pins into circular
holes and the pins stay in place by the static frictional force generated by
the interference. The hole diameters should be maintained within 0.002"
tolerance (higher costs - as are the stamping costs to close tolerances of
the pins). The troubles are aggravated by the presence of 'creep' of the
board material and the plated through hole with time and temperature.We are
not even talking hole rupture, yet, which is a high possibility considering
the sharp edges and corners of the posts and the human error element of
misalignment while staking the post into the hole!

All the above considerations make interference fit an unreliable process to
be recommended for a brand new design! For an ancient design already in
production for years, one would probably live with it....

That is the reason action pins and other compliant pins have come into
being.

Regards,
Lakshmi Dwivedula

(978) 256 6214