From:
Maurice Dore * <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 96 12:38:00 GMT

If I can have a moment of your time, I would like to ask for your opinion on
materials analysis in electronics manufacturing.
I work with AMT Ireland in the Interconnect service. We offer a wide range
of materials analysis tests and consultancy with a large proportion of
electronics companies in Ireland. I have experienced that our service is
 required by Process Engineers and Manufacturing Engineers who wait for the
problem to arise on their PCB assembly.
We offer prompt attention to companies who panic in the face of emerging
defects and perform the required tests in our Electronics Manufacturing
Centre.
The main tests include;
SIR testing
Ionic Contamination testing
Electromigration testing
Microsectioning
Flux corrosivity testing
etc
which are all implemented into helping develop new processes, such as
No-Clean, Paste Evaluation, Cleanliness, BGA Analysis etc

I would appreciate if you could forward your opinion on whether companies
should monitor key elements within the process on a continuous basis instead
of waiting for the defect to occur before taking action.
Are companies ignoring the importance of such process monitoring tools in
your experience?
We have a few companies who control their process using our services. Why in
your mind are the rest  not?
Would the downtime in production be significantly decreased if process
checks were carried out on a continuous basis.

Any comments and opinions are  much appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Moss Dore
                    Phone:    353-61-331588
AMT Ireland              Fax: 353-61-330316
Electronics Manufacturing Centre   Email:    [log in to unmask]
University of Limerick
National Technological Park
Limerick