TECHNET Archives

June 1997

From:
"Ron Hollandsworth"<[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 97 08:21:25 -0500

     Hello Technet!
     We are in the process of implementing a no-clean/low-residue process
     in a Class 3, High Reliabiity, manufacturing process.  Obviously I
     have some soul searching questions.

     First, I see the need to clean.  Hopefully with a low cost cleaning
     process.  Why?  If all the no-clean process is in place, general
     statement, and parts come in that cause failure after cleanliness
     testing, then, "how do the boards get cleaned?"  Yes, one should have
     their suppliers online, but, this can be a cruel world sometimes and
     scrapping them isn't an option.

     Second, test probes at Incircuit test.  Is there a no-clean flux that
     can be probed without having to replace test probes?  Many suppliers
     claim their no-clean is probeable, but, there is a significant cost
     because of the residues left on the probes.  This can get very
     expensive.  Our existing Incircuit test process with cleaned boards is
     very inexpensive.  If there is a no-clean flux out there, would the
     users be willing to share the brand name, or even entertain a
     benchmarking visit?  Low-residue fluxes/pastes could be used, but, I
     have heard this makes a nitrogen process necessary.  Nitrogen
     processes can also be very expensive.  Can a low-residue process be
     used without nitrogen if the components/boards are solderable
     (solderability good)?

     Third, how many have "skunk works"?  By this I mean, "how many have
     cleaners in the back room for those problem child
     boards/processes/products?  We have some special products that must be
     cleaned...i.e...space, high voltabe power supplies, etc.  Need some
     help/suggestions/advice (please keep it clean so to speak).  Thanks.

     I see the need to have a cleaning operation somewhere inhouse and
     possibly in the production process.  Looking at costs:  First, it
     would seem that costs at Incircuit would get pretty salty if you had
     to continually change/clean test probes.  Second, to use a low-residue
     flux/paste nitrogen requirements can off set savings by going to a
     low-residue technology.  Third, I can't scrap boards if they fail
     cleanliness because a supplier forgot to clean them.

     We would like very much to transition to a no-clean/low-residue
     technology (no-clean or low-residue).  I am not a against this
     technology, so please don't misunderstand this e:mail.  I feel that
     no-clean may not really mean "no-clean".  I know these subjects have
     been on the TechNet before, but could we resurrect them once again?

     Thanks for listening, need some feedback.

     RON