From:
"TOM BRESNAN" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 09 Oct 96 14:25:45 PST
     John, Good to see you back on-line. Here's the info you 're looking
     for. Regards, Tom

     -- [ From: cirworld * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

     CirWorld News - June 1996
     An email newsletter from CircuitWorld Online Services - Gateway to
     Electronics Manufacturing - http://www.circuitworld.com
     ------ --------------------------------------------------------------
     A BREAKTHROUGH CONTACTLESS TEST TECHNOLOGY  FOR PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARDS
     ------ ---------------------------------------------------------------
     Cirlog Corporation, located in Winnipeg, Canada, has developed a
     contactless test technology for printed circuit boards based on
     electromagnetic principles.  Cirlog's Patented technology effectively
     finds open circuit and short circuit faults on innerlayer and bare
     printed circuit boards.  It provides a technique that does not require
     direct electrical contact with the Board Under Test (BUT).

     The features of Cirlog's technology include: detecting open and short
     circuit faults without contacting the BUT, no damage to the BUT
     because of the contactless nature of the test, fast setup time since
     no test programs or special fixtures are required, fast measuring
     time, automated operation can be achieved, no limits on the pattern
     pitch and pattern width since the BUT is scanned not probed and low
     system cost.  The technology is based on electromagnetic principles
     and thus gives insight into the electrical characteristics of the BUT.
      Fault detection is based on comparisons to data from known good
     boards and fault location can be  displayed for reference.

     Our contactless test technology provides numerous advantages over
     current bare PCB test techniques, namely automated optical inspection
     (AOI) and electrical testing.  AOI test systems are very expensive and
     no insight to electrical characteristics is obtained.  Electrical test
     systems,  which use a bed-of-nails or a flying probe, directly probe
     the surface of  the BUT and faults can be introduced by touching the
     BUT with the contact probes. Setting up electrical tests requires
     special fixturing and generation of test programs, which requires
     information on the connectivity of the BUT from CAD or Gerber data.
     If modifications are made to a board layout it is difficult and time
     consuming to adapt the electrical test to the changes. Furthermore,
     the tighter tolerances on  today's PCBs makes it difficult to reliably
     hit specified points to test the BUT.

     Our technology is implemented with a multilayer PCB board design, the
     required mechanical arrangements and a computer workstation.  By
     scanning across the entire surface of the BUT, a displacement current
     signature of the BUT is obtained.  A fault recognition system compares
     the pattern of the BUT with a known or desired pattern of an
     identical, non-faulty BUT. The location of faults is given by x-y
     coordinates which can also be superimposed on the displacement current
     image of the BUT for reference.

     Currently, Cirlog Corporation has a joint venture with a Japanese
     company to develop a test system based on this technology and expects
     to have a fully functional pre-production model in September of this
     year.  We may be
     interested in a similar arrangement with a North American company to
     develop the system for the North American market.  We are also
     continuing  to examine other applications for this unique technology.

     editor: In an effort to gain some additional details, I directed some
     questions to Mr. Soiferman, President of the Cirlog Corporation, about
     this new technology.  I have included these questions and answers
     below.
     ****** ****************
     CWN - Will the unit be capable of importing CAD netlist data for
     comparison or  will it use only the "golden board" method of setup?

     JS - Currently the test system uses the gold board method of setup.
     We are planning to implement CAD data as a means to display the fault
     on screen in the near future.
     ****** ****************
     CWN - What are the projected cycle times for testing a typical board
     configuration?

     JS - We can scan a 650mm by 650mm panel in approximately 7 seconds
     with a 0. 25mm  step size.   The smallest step size is about 0.01mm.
     ****** ****************
     CWN - What is the projected setup time?

     JS - Setting up and scanning a gold board should take less than one
     hour.
     ****** ****************
     CWN -  Will it be able to generate specific fault locations?

     JS - In most cases it will find the specific fault location or to
     within a close proximity.
     ****** ****************
     CWN - How will it respond to defects such as trace narrowing, near
     shorts (spacing violations),  and partial voids in plated through
     holes?

     JS - It will detect large trace narrowing, spacing violations and
     large voids in plated through holes.
     ****** ****************
     CWN -  Will the electromagnetic attributes of a pcb vary with plating
     thickness,  soldermask, use of alternative coatings?

     JS - The attributes will vary.  However our fault detection algorithms
     account for
     these types of variations so that faults are not masked out.   We also
     have algorithms
     that will indicate the changes caused by different thicknesses and
     coating materials if required.
     For further information contact Jacob Soiferman at Cirlog Corporation
     by phone  at  (204) 949-0519 or e-mail at [log in to unmask]