From:
"Edward J. Valentine" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 1996 08:30:00 -0700
Nat Perkinson wrote:

> We build a lot of "developmental type" boards in quantities of 100 - 1000.
> At these quantities highly automated test and repair is not cost effective.
> Reference designators are quite useful to engineering, test technicians,
> and for field repair. Aside from component location, the clear
> identification of test points, LED indicators, test connectors is useful.
> This step is also used for board level labels and warnings (floating
> voltage, laser emission etc.). I have seen "tick marks"  placed near every
> 5th or 10th fine pitch pin to aid in pin location.
>
> A test technician gave me a good analogy: "On your next vacation imagine
> using a map but having no road signs".
>
> I have no doubt that given proper volume, maturity, and automation,
> eliminating reference designators can provide real cost savings.
>
> Nat Perkinson
>
> >Questions on reference designators ?
> >
> >For those of you that have them screened or otherwise marked on you board;
> >what do you use reference or component designators for in today's technology?
> > I have found a few people who use them on a unloaded board to check
> >first-piece if no overlay is present h them.  Some say it is for orientation
> >and others say it is for rework or field repair.  With cost of screening
> >reference designators on the board running between 2 and 8% of the cost,
> >there must be a better reason
> >
> >Phil Hinton
> >
> >The mail list is provided by IPC using SmartList v3.05
> >To unsubscribe from this list at any time, send a message to:
> >[log in to unmask] with <subject: unsubscribe> and no text.

for assembly.  Without trying to sound like a sales commercial, approximately 1/3 of our
business involves quick-turn prototype assembly and another 1/3 involves PCBA rework and
ECO upgrades, and the final 1/3 is low volume assembly.  All of these areas require
component designators because drawings and CAD data (other than a BOM) are rarely
available.  For most of our customers, we are assembling their "next generation"
products and assembly drawings are just not available at that stage until the customers
go into full product release for higher volume assembly.

If you need additional information, please feel free to contact me:

Ed Valentine, ProTronics, Inc.
Phone: (919) 217-0007, FAX: (919) 217-0050, E-Mail: [log in to unmask]