Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 1996 11:10:10 -0500
With regret, Arlon does not make a Bromine free FR-4 material.  Our GFN epoxy
(180 Tg) does contain the normal amount of bromine, as part of the backbone
structure of the  molecule.

Alternative flame retardant systems including chlorinated compounds
synergistically combined with antimony can cause other problems.  Most people
do not want antimony contamination in their baths.

Some polyimides such as our 31N are interently flame retardant (thicker
laminates are rated UL 94 V1) but others contain combined bromine.

I would agree that the furor in Europe is over bronimated additives rather
than bromine combined in the poymer backbone.

Anybody know anything else?

Chet Guiles
Technical Director
Arlon