TECHNET Archives

November 2002

Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 09:08:29 +0800
Thanks, Steve. We build a VME board that has one Ceramic BGA and two
Plastic BGA's. Originally, the ceramic was a CIC (Column Interposed
Ceramic) until it became unavailable. Don't know which Power PC chip you're
using, but ours is going obsolete, to be replaced by a plastic one, which
makes things more consistent, at least.

Although the ceramics have high MP solder balls, I have never attempted to
reflow them. To do so meant cooking other components on the board, so we
just used eutectic solder, made sure the profile was right for that and
soldered. The plastic BGA balls reflowed but the ceramics' balls remained
solid while the solder paste alloyed itself as it would to any other leaded
component (ish). Built this way, the boards have now passed every test
we've thrown at them, and have just passed their Safety of Flight tests, so
we're quite pleased.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>   12/11/2002 08:35 AM
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>

Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum."; Please respond to SteveZeva