TECHNET Archives

May 2005

From:
"Douglas O. Pauls" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2005 07:05:41 -0500
Sherif,
I should also point out that the work Graham refers to is only the latest
in a long line of R&R work being done by the IPC solderability committees,
led by Dave Hillman.  Past work should be available on the committee home
pages on the IPC Web Page.

For the ionic cleanliness testers, there was a large study done in the
mid-90s by the Ionic Conductivity Task Group of the IPC examining R&R of
all the instruments on the market at that time.  The work was done by EMPF
when they were in Indianapolis and culminated in their report number
RR0013.  The same document was provided to the IPC for their use and is
available as IPC-TR-583.  The conclusions of that study were that none of
the instruments were repeatable or reproducible in any way, they should not
be used for product acceptance and the only valid use is for process
control within a facility, which is what they were designed for in the
first place.  If you really want to understand the fallacies of relying on
these instruments (which have improved a little since then) for
good/no-good determinations, this would be a good report to start with.

Doug Pauls

             Graham Naisbitt
             <Graham.Naisbitt@
             CONCOAT.CO.UK>                                             To
             Sent by: TechNet          [log in to unmask]
             <[log in to unmask]>                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
             05/24/2005 06:16          Re: [TN] R & R evaluation
             PM

             Please respond to
              TechNet E-Mail
                   Forum
             ; Please respond
              Graham Naisbitt
             <Graham.Naisbitt@
              CONCOAT.CO.UK>

Sherif

First off, Wetting balance Gage R&R is under preparation through the latest
IPC RR test program.

Ionic contamination testers would not suit Gage R&R due to the test
parameters not providing a constant defined start condition.

As regards the MUST manufacturer - I am he! Who did you ask for this
information so that I might address that problem?
--
Regards Graham Naisbitt

NEW ADDRESS FROM 31ST MAY 2005:

CONCOAT SYSTEMS LIMITED
Unit B2, Armstrong Way
Southwood Business Park
Farnborough GU14 0NR

Phone: +44 (0)1252 521500
Fax: +44 (0)1252 521112

CONCOAT - Engineering Reliability in Electronics
CONCOAT SYSTEMS - Measuring Reliability in Electronics
A British Manufacturer

www.concoat.co.uk & www.concoatsystems.com

Cell: 079 6858 2121

http://listserv.ipc.org/archives