From:
Sid Tryzbiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 14:00:55 -0700
Hi Harlan,

We have been building blind via BGA boards of this type for several large
OEMs over the last 5 years and have had great success.  The nice thing about
the blind vias is that they do not allow the solder to wick down into the
holes. The adhesion is not as good as the traces but this does not seem to
be a problem with our customers and we have built hundreds of thousands of
these boards.  About 40% of our work is currently blind vias and most have
this design.

Speaking of blind vias, you may be interested in our new process we call
PhotoLink.  It is a new way to build printed circuit boards without drilling
blind via holes. These holes are photographically developed in a
photoimageable dielectric instead of being drilled.  It allows us to reduce
the cost of blind via boards because we do not need the expensive drilling
machines for small hole drilling or the expensive small drill bits.  In many
cases it also eliminates the need for bonding the board together with
prepreg.  We can develope 5 mil holes in 10 mil pads with 5 mil lines and
spaces. Even though smaller lines are possible, the increased density from
the smaller pads allows us to stay with more economical line widths. If this
sounds interesting, we can send you some information.

I hope I have been of some help,

Sincerely,

Sid Tryzbiak
VP Engineering