From:
"Richard B. Winston" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 1996 16:48:56 -0600

Hi, this is to let you know that the "Good Times email virus" is a
hoax. If you want to find out more about it there is a FAQ about it
at

http://www-mcb.ucdavis.edu/info/virus.html

What follows is just the beginning of that FAQ

"Is the Good Times email virus a hoax?

     Yes. It's a hoax.

     America Online, government computer security agencies, and makers
     of anti-virus software have declared Good Times a hoax. See
     Online References at the end of the FAQ.

     Since the hoax began in December of 1994, no copy of the alleged
     virus has ever been found, nor has there been a single verified
     case of a viral attack.

Why should I believe the FAQ instead of the hoax?

     Unlike the warnings that have been passed around, the FAQ is
     signed and dated. I've included my email address, and the email
     addresses of contributors, for verification. I've also provided
     online references at the end of the FAQ so that you can confirm
     this information for yourself."

> Date:          Fri, 10 May 1996 08:27:44 -0700 (PDT)
> To:            [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
>                [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
> From:          Marc Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:       Virus Alert
> Cc:            [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],

> This was forwarded to me from a from a pretty good source.  Better safe than
> sorry.
>

> Immediately delete (do not open or read) any email you might receive with
> the subject heading "Good Times."
>
> There is a computer virus that is being sent across the Internet. If  you
> receive an email message with the subject line "Good  Times", DO NOT read
> the message, DELETE it immediately.  Please read the messages below.  Some
> miscreant is sending  email under the title "Good Times" nationwide, if you
> get anything like this, DON'T DOWN LOAD THE FILE!
>
> It has a virus that rewrites your hard drive, obliterating anything on it.
> Please be careful and forward this mail to anyone you care about.
>
>                           WARNING!!!!!!!  INTERNET VIRUS
>    **
>
>  The FCC released a warning last Wednesday concerning a matter of major
> importance to any regular user  of the Internet. Apparently a new computer
> virus has been engineered by a user of AMERICA ON LINE that is unparalleled
> in its destructive capability. Other more well-known viruses such as
> "Stoned", "Airwolf" and "Michaelangelo" pale in comparison to the prospects
> of this newest creation by a warped mentality. What makes this virus so
> terrifying, said the FCC, is the fact that no program needs to be exchanged
> for a new computer to be infected. It can be spread through the existing
> email systems of the Internet.
> Once a Computer is infected, one of  several things can  happen. If the
> computer contains a hard drive, that  will most likely be destroyed.  If the
> program is not stopped, the computer's processor will be placed in an
> nth-complexity infinite binary loop -which can severely damage the processor
> if left running that way too long.
>
> Unfortunately, most novice computer users will not realize what is happening
> until it is far too late. Luckily, there is one sure means of detecting what
> is now known as the "Good Times" virus. It always travels to new computers
> the same way in a text email message with the subject line reading "Good
> Times".   Avoiding infection is easy once the file has
> been received simply by NOT READING IT! The act of loading the file into the
> mail server's ASCII buffer causes the "Good Times" mainline program to
> initialize and execute.  The program is highly intelligent- it will send
> copies of itself to everyone whose email address is contained in a
> receive-mail file or a sent-mail file, if it can find one. It will then
> proceed to trash the computer it is running on.  The bottom line there is  -
> if you receive a file with the subject line "Good Times", delete it
> [...]

Richard B. Winston
Dept. of Geology and Geophysics		[log in to unmask]
Louisiana State University		http://aapg.geol.lsu.edu/rbwinsto.htm
Baton Rouge, La 70803			ftp://aapg.geol.lsu.edu/pub/winston
U.S.A.
504-388-2337
Fax 504-388-2302