From:
"Thorson, Kevin J @EAG" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 96 08:27:00 CST

We have several designs of motherboards that use buried resisters for
pull-up impedance, thus eliminating the need for resister packs or including
this requirement on already densely populated card assemblies.  We have
realized benefits of increased I/O support and realized reduced cabinet
sizes with this technique.  The reduced cabinet size benefits weight, cost,
natural frequency, and cooling.

These are all positives and there are a few drawbacks related to the
supplier base.  Several manufactures realize the cares needed and are doing
a great job.

Kevin Thorson,
Loral Defense Systems - Eagan