From:
[log in to unmask] (Steve Mikell)
Date:
Thu, 9 May 1996 23:21:51 -0500
The following question was posted by "Nachbor Suzanne"
>We are reviewing converting Mil-Std-2000A and some old 454 contracts to the
>J-std-001.  Also all new contracts would require this spec.  We have a team of
>8 people from different facets within our organization looking at a matrix of
>differences as well as questions of intepretations.
>
>I would like some input on defect observation from people in industry.  If you
>work in a work cell environment with TQC checks and someone in the work cell
>catches a defect do you count that defect or do you count it when it is
>discovered in the next work cell.  An example would be at the wave solder
>machine how do people feel about the acceptability that hand touchup done
>within the wave solder cell without recording it as rework is permitted?  I
>guess we're expanding our debate outside of our 8 person team and would like
>your input.

Thanks for asking a question that permits me to pull out my soapbox.  I need
to vent.

        This question has come up during my career in several forms.  They
are as follows:

Is a defect a defect if I make it and find it myself, referring to hand
solder???
Is a defect a defect if a manufacturing person finds it before QC???
Is a defect a defect if I know the parts are bad and thus, will require
rework???
Is a defect a defect if the design is screwed up and causes the problem, and
I plan rework to fix it???
Is a defect a defect if my equipment is inadequate for the job and I plan
rework for the defects it causes???

        And some SPC variations that go like this:
Is a process capable if I treat the entire SMT line as a "process" and treat
the operator aligning parts as part of the "man/machine system"???
Is it an acceptable corrective action to remove all parts from wavesolder or
reflow solder that cause defects and move them to second hand load???

        And the "Cost of Quality" (COQ) questions that go like this:
If reworking the part moves the product forward to the next operation, i.e.
"forward processing", it is productive work and not COQ???
ANY planned effort, such as a "rework" block on my shop router after wave
solder, is not COQ???

The answer is that anything not made correctly the first time is bad,
period.  The operative concept is "Continuous Process Improvement".  The
object is to build better quality through better engineering, better
procurement, better design, better teamwork.  The object is not to figure
out how to please the chart bozo with nifty metrics while shipping product
that's been worked to death or produced with extra cost, extra processing
and wasted resources.

I find myself wondering exactly what was going through your mind as you
posed the question.  I wouldn't be shocked if it involved the requirement
for corrective action at defect rates greater than 3000 ppm.  The basic
requirement, worded in several different ways has been around since WS6536.
I love the little adder that requires that ineffective corrective action be
brought to the attention of Plant Management.  I understand, having been
there myself, that a few managers don't like to be pulled into situations
where their people have proven unable to resolve an issue.  If your
management beats you up for failing (I don't like the use of this word here)
to solve the problem, I sympathize.  If, on the other hand, your management
asked what other resources or influence you needed to solve the problem, you
would gather all the data you could about the issues on the floor so you
could go to management and get authorizations for wooden stakes and silver
bullets, and possibly hire an exorcist or two.

The above opinions do not represent the views of my employer,  nor do they
reflect any issues other than those relating to my prior employers.
Good Luck, Steve Mikell, Process Engineer, Soldering & Cleaning
SCI Systems, Government Division, Plant 13
First, build accaptable product
having achieved that, build product of unquestionable quality
then sit back and watch the line form